Special needs? Perhaps, but we prefer to think of them as children with Special Intentions!
Learn how to reach the hearts and minds of these children with our creativity, intuition, and excellent therapeutic tools. In the process, we’ll learn what these very special children have to teach us.
THIS COURSE TEACHES the participant how to effectively integrate yoga into their therapeutic treatment of children with learning and developmental challenges such as ADD/ADHD, Autism, Sensory Processing Disorders, etc. Social-emotional, physiological, cognitive and sensory-motor benefits will be described. Through lecture, videotape and experiential labs, participants will learn how to apply:
- BREATH to enhance self-regulation, modulation and organization as well as supporting respiration for language
- MOVEMENT to improve motor planning, balance, coordination, strength and flexibility
- MEDITATION / RELAXATION to decrease stress and promote stillness of the mind for increased attention and ability to focus
- Discover how to use yoga-based activities to support and enhance the effectiveness of your treatment for children with special needs
- Understand how yoga strengthens the brain-body connection and enhances learning for all children
- Create fun and innovative yoga lessons that address therapeutic goals for physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech/language therapy
- Examine therapeutic variations for specific disorders and learning challenges
- Demonstrate breathing techniques, yoga poses and meditations for facilitating relaxation, self regulation, attention and ability to focus
Radiant Child Yoga 1-3 and Yoga for Children with ADHD, Autism, and Those Who Are Differently-Abled may be approved for professional CEUs. Please check with your professional organization.
(click on date for more information)
Early Reg. Fee: $450 through Feb 22(inclusive)
Regular Reg. Fee: $500 after that date
Early Reg. Fee: $460 through July 25(inclusive)
Regular Reg. Fee: $510 after that date
Email us at email@example.com for more information.
Taught by Shakta Khalsa, ERYT-500, and Allison Morgan, MA, OTR. They will join together along with Radiant Child Yoga Trainers who have expertise in SPD to teach this exciting exploration into Yoga for Children with Special Intentions!
As a pediatric physical therapist attending Yoga to treat the Differently-abled Child, I brought home a plethora of clinical applications, ideas, techniques and games to put use with my patients. The 2 instructors complimented one another beautifully with all their clinical knowledge along with their yoga and meditative expertise. I loved the use of music and movement as a yoga treatment option. I highly recommend this class for health care clinicians, along with educators and yoga instructors looking to integrate the special needs population in their classes.
Kathy Harrington, MA, PT Winchester Hospital, MA
In teaching kids’ yoga classes since the training, I have found a new direction. It is almost as if before, I was just going through the motions, and now after the training, I have a much deeper aspect to my teaching. I think also that as I deepen my own personal practice, this will reflect in how and what I teach with children.
I have also incorporated many of the activities/techniques, such as the caterpillar in a cocoon (rolling the child up in a blanket), and find that the kids love it and want more. We run out of time every class to do everything that they (and I) want to do!
I also loved all the science behind the poses. It all just makes so much sense! I am incredibly motivated to continue learning!